I found this little “article” posted on the bulletin board at the entrance of St. Francis Church last April 11 (Black Saturday). It’s all about fasting, since Holy Week was ongoing but this article shows a different way to look at fasting. I wish I could have found it sooner so that this post will be more relevant but what the hey. I really like it and I would love to share it too everyone.
A Different Approach to Fasting…
Fasts have a tendency to be oriented toward things like giving up food or television. But there are many other creative ways we can welcome Jesus’ healing touch.
Here are some suggestions you might want to consider.
1. Fast from anger and hatred. Give your family an extra dose of love each day.
2. Fast from judging others. Before making any judgments, recall how Jesus overlooks our faults.
3. Fast from discouragement. Hold on to Jesus’ promise that He has a perfect plan for your life.
4. Fast from complaining. When you find yourself about to complain, close your eyes and recall some of the little moments of joy Jesus has given you.
5. Fast from resentment of bitterness. Work on forgiving those who may have hurt you.
6. Fast from spending too much money. Try to reduce your spending by 10% and give those savings to the poor.
I know this post is pretty late considering that Holy Week just finished, but I think that this is still significant and applicable in our daily lives. I believe that if everyone, regardless of their religion, can learn to abide by these simple “fasts”, then the world would be a more peaceful and happy place to live in.
Anyway, that’s all for today. Until next time everyone. 🙂